1. Q: What are the differences between single-mode and multi-mode fiber?
A: Single-mode fiber uses solid lasers as the light source, while multi-mode fiber uses light-emitting diodes as the light source. Single-mode fiber optic transmission has the characteristics of wideband and long transmission distance, but because it requires laser sources, the cost is higher, while multi-mode fiber is characterized by low transmission speed and short distance, but its cost is relatively low. Single-mode fiber core diameter and dispersion is small, allowing only one mode of transmission, while multi-mode fiber core diameter and dispersion is large, allowing hundreds of modes of transmission.
2. Q: What is the difference between single-mode and multi-mode optical transceiver module?
A: multi-mode optical transceiver module works at 850nm, single-mode optical transceiver module works at 1310nm, 1550nm. The devices used in single-mode optical modules are twice as many as those used in multi-mode optical modules, so the overall cost of single-mode optical modules is much higher than that of multi-mode optical transceiver modules. The transmission distance of single-mode optical transceiver module can reach 150 to 200km, and the transmission distance of multi-mode optical transceiver module can reach 5km. Fiber Mall’s single-mode and multi-mode optical transceiver modules are recommended because of their cost performance and compatibility.
3. Q: Where are single-mode/multi-mode fiber and single-mode/multi-mode optical transceiver modules used?
A: Single-mode fiber enables the fiber to be launched directly to the data center, which is generally used for long distance data transmission, while in multi-mode fiber the optical signal is propagated through multiple paths. Therefore, multi-mode fiber is commonly used in short distance data transmission. Single-mode optical modules are often used in metro networks over long distances and at relatively high transmission rates.
4. Q: Can single-mode/multi-mode fiber be mixed with single-mode/multi-mode optical module?
A: The results are shown in the table below, we can see that they can’t be mixed, we have to match the fiber and optical module well to use them normally.
|Module Type||Fiber Type||Status|
|single-mode||multi-mode||Working at short distance, but the effect can not be guaranteed|
5. Q: Can multi-mode fiber be used with single-mode optical trancevier module? If not, what is the reason?
A: No. multi-mode fiber is best used with multi-mode optical modules. Because multi-mode and single-mode converter must be the corresponding wavelength and optical transceiver function to achieve photoelectric conversion, multi-mode fiber and single-mode optical module used together can not guarantee the use of effect.
6. Q: All of our server room are single-mode optical trancevier modules, the fiber is multi-mode, do all the optical trancevier modules in the server room should be replaced with multi-mode?
A: It is best to replace all, single-mode and multi-mode can not be mixed. Because the core diameter of single-mode fiber and multi-mode fiber is very different, it will lead to too much insertion loss when matching them.